Skip to content

Honduran National Resistance Update 10/10

October 10, 2009

10:00PM

 

 >The golpistas tighten the screws on Honduran media

 

New media measures take effect in Honduras

 

By FREDDY CUEVAS (AP) – 44 minutes ago

 

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras — Honduras’ interim leaders put in place new rules Saturday that threaten broadcasters with closure for airing reports that “attack national security,” further restricting media freedom following the closure of two opposition stations.

 

The latest decree is sure to anger supporters of ousted President Manuel Zelaya and appears to be a challenge to the Organization of American States and a team of regional diplomats who were in the country Thursday to push for a resolution of the crisis.

 

A statement released by the OAS delegation urged the coup-installed government to, among other things, allow the resumption of operations at the two broadcasters, which backed Zelaya’s return to office.

 

Under the decree imposed by the government of interim President Roberto Micheletti, “the frequencies of radio or television stations may be canceled if they transmit messages that incite national hate and the destruction of public property.”

 

Officials can monitor and control broadcast messages that “attack national security,” according to the decree.

 

It was adopted by the Interior Ministry and will be enforced by the National Telecommunications Commission, interim Information Minister Rene Zepeda told The Associated Press.

 

Micheletti was sworn in Honduras’ interim president following a June 28 coup that ousted Zelaya and sent him into exile. After Zelaya suddenly reappeared in Honduras and took refuge in the Brazilian Embassy on Sept. 21, street protests prompted the Micheletti government to limit freedom of expression, association and movement, and to shut down two pro-Zelaya broadcasters.

 

The restriction on civil liberties has been lifted, but Channel 36 and Radio Globo are still off the air. Micheletti said they would remain shut down until their owners “come to the courts to recover their right to be on the air.”

 

“We thought that when the (civil liberties) decree was revoked, the equipment would be returned, but that has not happened,” said Yesenia Herculano, an activist with Honduras’ Committee for Free Expression, earlier this week. “There has been no progress.”

 

Talks on resolving the bitter divide over Zelaya’s ousters produced some signs of progress before breaking off for the weekend.

 

On Friday, police fired tear gas and a water cannon at about 200 pro-Zelaya protesters who demonstrated outside the hotel where negotiations were taking place. There were no arrests and apparently no major injuries, though many people rubbed their eyes or had tears streaming from their eyes because of the acrid smoke.

 

The international community has been pressuring the Micheletti government to allow Zelaya’s return before the Nov. 29 presidential election that was scheduled before the coup. Zelaya was toppled after he pressed ahead with plans for a referendum on changing the constitution despite a Supreme Court order ruling the vote illegal.

 

The U.S. and other nations have suspended foreign aid and imposed diplomatic isolation on the interim administration.”

 

 

Coup amnesty off the table as Honduras talks pause

By Isabel Sanchez (AFP) – 26 minutes ago

TEGUCIGALPA — Deposed Honduran President Manuel Zelaya and the interim government agreed to create a joint cabinet and ditch amnesty for coup leaders, one of the ousted leader’s negotiators said.

 

But both measures depend on Zelaya’s return to the presidency, still far from certain four months into the standoff that emerged from the June 28 coup.

 

Union leader Juan Barahona, one of Zelaya’s top three negotiators, told a rally of hundreds of the president’s followers that the joint cabinet, if realized, would be composed of ministers from both governments.

 

The Zelaya camp, he added, opposed amnesty because such a move would mean “amnesia, forgetfulness and forgiveness, and we got cannot condone the coup.

 

“If after all of this, they say that there is not going to be reinstatement (of Zelaya), what difference does it make if we made progress on anything else?” quipped Barahona.

 

“Tuesday, we are going to get at that key point in detail. If on October 15 we do not have a deal, the talks will have failed.”

 

The formation of a national unity government and amnesty for crimes linked to the coup were two key points of the San Jose reconciliation agenda set out in August, whose central tenet calls for Zelaya’s return to office.

 

The discussions came ahead of a three-day pause that prolongs the uncertainty of resolving the political crisis that has paralyzed the impoverished Central American country since late June.

 

The resumption of talks on Tuesday will come just two days before the October 15 deadline given by the Zelaya camp for his unconditional return to power.

 

Reinstating him any later, supporters say, risks causing a delay in presidential and legislative elections planned for November 29.

 

“I do not understand the three-day break,” Zelaya’s wife Xiomara Castro told AFP from within the Brazilian embassy, where the deposed leader has been holed up since his surprise return to the capital on September 21.

 

“When there’s persecution, repression, the minutes and hours count. (The pause) is a way to delay the process, with time passing and the president still not returning to power.”

 

A diplomatic delegation from the Organization of American States left Honduras Thursday without resolving a months-old political impasse between de facto leader Roberto Micheletti and Zelaya, who was forced out of the country at gunpoint.

 

A rancher known for his trademark white cowboy hat, Zelaya veered to the left after his election and alarmed conservatives by aligning himself with leftist Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez. They feared Zelaya was seeking to change the constitution to allow himself to seek reelection.”
 

3:30PM

It’s US-Honduras Match Day: Let’s See if  Golpistas Make a Move

 

When you Google Honduras news, two-thirds of it is about the World Cup qualifying match between the US and Honduras taking place this evening.  By tomorrow morning, you will need a magnifying glass to find Zelaya’s name in the news.  Further, as you will see in the next item below, Telesur TV has been forced to leave the Brazilian embassy. 

 

A major international futbol match, Honduras’ anti-golpista media under a shutdown order, and now Telesur is no longer at “ground zero.”  Not a good combination of circumstances.

 

 

>The following Telesur article reports that their reporters, who have been inside the Brazilian embassy since the arrival of the President, have noticed a distinct deteoriation in their health. Telesur decided to bring in a new team to replace the current one yesterday, but the Micheletti regime denied them entrance. As a result, Telesur had to bring its current team home, leaving Tegucigalpa without any Telesur coverage.

 

TeleSUR obligada a salir de embajada de Brasil por presión de gobierno de facto hondureño

Excerpt from article:

 ”La salud de nuestro personal fue minándose debido al plan sistemático ejecutado por las autoridades del gobierno de facto desde el mismo momento en que llegó el presidente, Manuel Zelaya”, reza parte del comunicado publicado por esta casa periodística.

 

Full article including a comunique from Telesur TV

 

>Daily and hourly updates from the US Delegation in Solidarity with the Honduran Resistance

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: