Skip to content

Honduran National Resistance Update 11/8

November 8, 2009

11:00PM

 >VIDEO: Candidates campaigning as if there were no crisis in Honduras

>Honduras president, de facto leader spar over deal

 (AFP)

TEGUCIGALPA — Honduran de facto leader Roberto Micheletti has called for ousted President Manuel Zelaya to rejoin dialogue to form a unity government, though the deposed leader quickly responded by declaring the offer a “non-starter.”

“The government of Honduras reiterates its readiness to proceed with the implementation of the agreement and urges the other side to return to the dialogue framework to enable the formation of a government of national unity and reconciliation,” Micheletti said through a spokesman.

Zelaya, ousted in a coup in June, however later told Radio Globo that the deal was a “non-starter” because Micheletti had failed to reinstate him and his ministers.

The US-brokered deal to end the nation’s four-month crisis collapsed last week when Zelaya pulled out, after Micheletti announced a new “unity” government without his participation.

Presidential elections due on November 29 are in jeopardy as Zelaya called for his supporters to boycott them and return to the streets of the polarized nation.

Zelaya, still holed up in the Brazilian embassy after making a surprise return to the capital in September, told AFP earlier that there was no point continuing with negotiations because “the agreements have been constantly violated.”

The accord had given Zelaya and Micheletti’s camps until midnight last Thursday to set up a reconciliation government to represent both sides.

Although it did not require that Zelaya be reinstated, the pact said that decision should be left to Congress, without setting a deadline for the vote, which has not yet taken place.

Shortly before the deadline, Micheletti announced a unity government without including Zelaya ministers.

The ousted leader had refused to present nominees for the posts unless he was first reinstated to “reverse the coup” of June 28.

 

>Presidential candidate, Carlos Reyes, pulls his hat out of the ring because no agreement was reached for the restitution of President Z elaya (Telesur.net – in Spanish)

 

Carlos Reyes retira su candidatura a la presidencia de Honduras

El candidato de izquierda hondureña,Carlos Reyes, renunció su postulación a la Presidencia de Honduras. (Foto:teleSUR)

Carlos Reyes, renunció debido a que las partes no llegaron a un acuerdo para la restitución del presidente legítimo Manuel Zelaya.

El candidato independiente a la Presidencia de Honduras, el izquierdista Carlos Reyes, anunció este domingo, que no participará en las próximas elecciones, convocadas para el 29 de noviembre, porque considera que equivaldría a “legitimar” el golpe de Estado del 28 de junio pasado contra el presidente legítimo Manuel Zelaya.

“Definitivamente no se ha restituido al presidente Zelaya, no se ha vuelto al orden constitucional y nosotros no podemos participar en elecciones en condiciones de ese tipo. Eso sería legitimar a los golpistas”, explicó Reyes.

El candidato izquierdista manifestó que el tiempo terminó y que “definitivamente, nos retiramos (del proceso electoral) y mañana lo vamos a comunicar al Tribunal” Superior Electoral.

La candidatura de Reyes, está integrada en el Frente de Resistencia contra el Golpe de Estado, que defiende la restitución del presidente Zelaya en su cargo.

El candidato independiente anunció su decisión al final de una votación en una asamblea en Tegucigalpa del movimiento que le apoya, en la que participaron unas 500 personas.

Aseguró que, a nivel nacional, el resultado de la consulta fue que 96 por ciento de los presentes votaba por retirarse de las elecciones, frente a un cuatro por ciento que prefería participar.

En entrevista exclusiva a teleSUR, el pasado 21 de octubre, Reyes había advertido que participaría en la contienda electoral “sólo si se reconstituye el orden constitucional y el Presidente regresa a su puesto; de lo contrario no participaremos”.

“Para que sea legítimo el proceso electoral hay que volver al orden constitucional. Sin eso, no puede haber legitimidad de proceso electoral y esas es la contradicción de los golpistas que quieren elecciones en estas condiciones”, resaltó el candidato.

Reyes manifestó que su demora para retirar su candidatura de la contienda fue por la posibilidad de un acuerdo para que Zelaya volviera al poder.

Sin embargo, el mandatario constitucional declaró definitivamente roto el diálogo con el régimen de facto tras dar por fracasado el pacto al que habían llegado tras meses de negociaciones ante la decisión del presidente de facto, Roberto Micheletti, de querer presidir el Gobierno de unidad que se contemplaba en el tratado.

teleSUR-Efe/yi-PR

Advertisements

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: